Wood is the most basic item obtained in Terraria. It is a replenishable resource dropped when the player cuts down a tree. Wood is an invaluable and bountiful resource in crafting, necessary to create numerous items and weapons. It is a popular choice for the walls of starting shelters due to its abundance and ease of acquisition.
The quickest way to harvest wood (other than drax) is with a bucket of lava. In v 1.1.2, you can click and hold with a bucket of lava, which will dump and immediately pick up a square of lava, killing the tree without destroying the grass. Multiple trees can be harvested at once by pouring lava and letting it flow over them. A safer way to harvest them is to kill the grass on which the tree is growing by putting lava in a totally enclosed box directly under the tree.
In the console and iOS versions, wood is broken using an axe.
- As of patch 1.1, wood close to lava or magma will not catch on fire.
- You can plant Acorns on grass blocks and trees will grow. By creating tree farms, wood can be harvested more easily.
- The most profitable way to sell wood is to construct kegs and sell them to NPCs.
- As of v1.2, it is possible to get Acorns from trees in snow biomes. This is useful should a player require 'normal' wood in other biomes as Corruption or the Jungle biome.
- There are several different variants of Wood including Boreal Wood, Dynasty Wood, Ebonwood, Living Wood, Palm Wood, Pearlwood, Rich Mahogany, Shadewood, and Spooky Wood.
Update Info Edit
- Became material in Living Wood Furniture.
- Required tool to mine placed wood switched from axe to pickaxe.
- Stack size increased from 250 to 999